Summer holidays are well and truly in full swing, and for our two young boys it means loads of time enjoying playing outdoors. As parents, we make sure they spend plenty of time away from televisions, games consoles and iPads when the weather is fine and living in Cornwall by the coast, there are no excuses.
At the start of this summer, Dylan our oldest (5 years old) learnt to ride his bike without stabilisers and now he loves riding his bike whenever he can. Harry (3 years old) having seen his bigger brother riding his bike now wanted a bike too. Trouble is, he’s too small for most bikes at the moment so we read about balance bikes being a great training bike to teach the basics of balancing. By using their feet to balance and push themselves along there is no need for stabilisers and once they master the basics on the balance bike, they can start to free wheel which puts them in great stead for when they upgrade to a real bike.
We had a look around online for children’s balance bikes one evening and found some excellent reviews for Nicko wooden balance bikes and costing only £29.99 they looked perfect. We showed Harry all the different bikes and he choose the Monkey bike – great choice as you can see from the photos below 🙂
The balance bike was delivered the next day and I have to say, it was the easiest thing I have ever assembled. Literally, it took about 30 seconds to put the bike together using the allen key and instructions included. Perfect. We were ready for the park! I loved the fact that the bike was so light…like most dads, we are like a packhorse carrying bikes, bags, balls etc
Harry was so excited to get going and here are some photos of Harry loving his first outside with his Nicko balance bike.
I made the saddle a little higher which again was very easy to do with the allen key. Harry immediately enjoyed riding the bike and look forward to him progressing well this summer.
Nicko Monkey Wooden Balance Bike Features:
- Eco friendly painted birch plywood frame.
- Easy to assemble, Allen keys and instructions included.
- Suitable for most 2-5 year olds, dependant on height of child.
- Puncture resistant 28cm Eva foam tyres (not air filled).
- Dampened steering allows handlebars to realign to forward facing.
- Non-slip grip handle with safety ends.
- Soft padded seat.
- Light weight bike (approx 2.5kgs) with built in carry handle.
- Adjustable saddle height – 35cm or 38cm from ground, please check your child’s inside leg measurement.
- Bike size: 85cm x 37cm x 54cm (LxWxH).
- 12 month warranty on all bikes
Visit their website which is www.nickotoys.co.uk where you can find a whole range of brilliant wooden balance bikes for kids to choose from. I highly recommend them.